Skanska provided program management services for the 177,200-SF Stetson Sawyer Addition and Renovation (45,500-GSF existing, and 131,700-GSF addition), which consists of the adaptive reuse of a four-story 1923 Georgian Revival building that was originally the primary library for Williams College, in Williamstown, Massachusetts. The project includes the demolition and replacement of two additions dating from 1956 and 1962 with a 130,000 gross square foot concrete framed structure. In addition to stack space, the library program includes reading/study spaces, a forum/café, media study areas, instructional rooms, staff offices and work areas.
The original 40,000 square foot 1923 Georgian Revival building will continue to house faculty offices and classrooms on the top two floors. The historic Chapin Library located in the south wing of the existing building will be maintained. Interior decorative plasterwork and wood paneling was cleaned and restored in the public spaces and the historic Reading Room that occupies the first and second floors. The building was equipped with a fire protection system, receive new mechanical, power and data systems and other improvements to bring it into conformance with the current Massachusetts building codes.