Skanska USA Commercial Development Inc. announced today that its 1776 Wilson Boulevard building was awarded LEED Platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council for New Construction-Core and Shell.
1776 Wilson Boulevard becomes the first commercial office building in Arlington, Virginia to achieve LEED Platinum under the most current version of the USGBC’s Core & Shell certification program.
The building’s design elements include:
• an on-site photovoltaic array which produces over 1.0% of the building’s total energy use
• a building dashboard which monitors the building and tenant energy use levels
• an extensive green roof which reduces storm water overflow and urban heat island effects
• air sensors that regulate outdoor air intake for optimized ventilation and improved indoor air quality
• low-VOC requirements for adhesives, sealants, paints and coatings
• bike storage, shower facilities and electric car charging stations in the underground garage.
“Arlington is a vibrant and progressive market. Tenants are looking for energy efficient spaces that provide their employees with a healthy environment,” said Rob Ward, executive vice president for Skanska. “We are really proud to have brought the first of these impressive buildings to the area.”
Skanska’s office space, also located in 1776 Wilson Boulevard, earned LEED Platinum for Commercial Interiors by the U.S. Green Building Council. The building, and the space, exemplifies Skanska’s global green initiatives through the advantageous use of daylighting in space planning, incorporation of high efficiency lighting and plumbing fixtures, submetering and providing visual communication of performance, and thoughtful material selection.
Skanska acquired the site in May 2010, and self-financed 100 percent of the development costs for the five-story, Class A project, which recently celebrated its completion in November 2012. The building features 134,750 square feet of highly sustainable office and retail space.
In addition to Skanska, current tenants include the National Association of Chain Drug Stores, CRDF Global, Evermay Wealth Management, 100 Montaditos and Pier 1 Imports.