ARLINGTON, VA – Skanska USA recently completed the construction of Virginia Hospital Center’s new parking garage in Arlington, Virginia. The new parking garage includes three levels below grade and six levels above grade to hold approximately 1,700 cars.
Skanska has also started building the new six-story 245,000-square-foot outpatient pavilion which will house physical therapy examination and treatment rooms, radiology and imaging suites, clinics for examinations and six operating rooms. The garage and pavilion will provide direct, easy access for patients from their arrival at the parking garage to treatment areas.
“It is an honor for Skanska to be part of the team bringing the new Virginia Hospital Center garage and patient tower to life,” said Dale Kopnitsky, general manager and executive vice president responsible for Skanska’s Washington D.C. building operations. “As Skanska’s largest healthcare project in the region, this garage completion signifies the progress we are making in delivering these much needed buildings to the community.”
Skanska used two large cranes during the building process. Each crane had a lifting capacity of approximately 440 tons and had a 360-degree spin capability with a wagon and additional counterweights. In addition:
- Construction workers completed 188,941 man hours;
- 116,000 cubic yards of earth was removed;
- 356 steel piles were drilled which equates to approximately 2.85 miles;
- 376 structural tiebacks were installed which equates to approximately 1.85 miles;
- 1,900 precast concrete slabs were installed; and
- 625 truck-loads of concrete were poured.
Special thanks to all our trade contractors who performed well during COVID-19 and overcame countless challenges. Their dedication and cooperation are sincerely appreciated.
- AMV Inc Allstate Striping & Sealing Co
- A. G. Mauro Company Inc.
- B. Frank Joy, LLC
- Bayside Fire Protection
- Berkel & Company Contractors, Inc
- Consolidated Waterproofing Contractors, Inc.
- Demolition Services Inc.
- Denison Landscaping
- Door Systems, Inc.
- Emmitsburg Glass Co.
- Griffin Dewatering LLC
- JP Construction Inc
- Kalkreuth Roofing and Sheet Metal Inc.
- Keystone Structures Inc
- Kinsley Construction Inc.
- Koydol Inc.
- Lithko Contracting LLC
- Long Fence Company, Inc.
- Millennium Construction LLC
- Netcom Technologies Inc
- Otis Elevator Company
- Park Assist LLC
- Payne’s Parking Designs Inc
- PerLectric Inc.
- Precision Technology Solutions
- Progress Environmental LLC
- Shapiro & Duncan, Inc.
- The Shockey Precast Group
- Sparkle Painting Co. Inc.
- Strittmatter Contracting LLC
- Telligent Masonry LLC
- Total Civil Construction & Engineering LLC
Partners doing related work on the site such as surveying, cleaning, permitting, providing dumpsters and shuttle, and more include:
- Blue Raven Security
- Muller Erosion & Site Services Inc.
- Virginia Cleaning and Punchout Inc
- DFM Development Services LLC
- VIKA Virginia, LLC
- BioClean Portable Restrooms Inc
- Scaffold Resource
- Schnabel Engineering
- Dulles Luxury Coach LLC
- Dixon’s Pest Control Inc.
- Multivista DC
- Environmental Alternatives LLC
- TriLogix Consulting, LLC
A link to a photo of the garage can be found here.